Become an Assistant
Updated October 13, 2014
Now accepting applications for the following positions:
Looking for an adventure in community living that will help you discover the depths of the human spirit? Apply to be an assistant in L’Arche, where you’ll:
- provide professional, personalized services to adults who have intellectual disabilities (known as “core people”),
- advocate for and with core people for the rights they deserve, and
- grow personally through mutual relationships within the community.
L’Arche’s mission inspires people from diverse backgrounds to help make our community in the Greater Washington, D.C. area a place where all people are welcomed and valued. It is most important that applicants to L’Arche have an open heart, a willingness to learn, a commitment to personal growth, and a belief in the unique sacredness of every person.
Assistants come to L’Arche at all stages of life: after college, during a shift between careers, or after a formal career. L’Arche welcomes applications from people of all ages, races, genders, faiths, and sexual orientations. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and assistants are welcomed throughout the year based on the needs of the community. Preference is given assistants who commit to living in community for two years. Some assistants also choose to apply to be daily life members, which is voluntary and separate from paid roles.
- Read the assistant role description
- Read the awake overnight assistant role description
- Download the assistant application and email it to Caitlin Smith at [email protected]
Watch the Say Yes To L’Arche video to learn more about being an assistant.